The following pictures below (Click to enlarge) are published in book called:
‘A Century of Canterbury’ written by Derek Butler.
Canterbury Pre 1940
War Damaged Canterbury
Canterbury 2000 onwards
The following pictures are provided by:
Images of Canterbury,
published by the KM Group.
Andrew Rootes (production editor of the KM group) helped compile the book. He is also a SMACS committee member.
1940’s Images of Canterbury or before
Although this picture was taken before 1930 – it dates from early in the century – it clearly shows how St George’s Street used to look before the Blitz destroyed the church and the buildings round it. Picture courtesy of Paul Crampton
1930’s Part of the original 1881 Simon Langton schools which used to dominate the Whitefriares area between St George’s Street and Gravel Walk. The girls moved out after the buildings were damaged by wartime bombing. But the boys remained until 1959.
1934: Nasons, now in the High Street, began life at the corner of Castle Street and St. Mary’s Street
1940 Looking along Stour Street towards St Mildred’s Church. Beasley’s dyeworks was damaged in the Blitz but the building survived until early 1960’s.
Canterbury at War
Marks & Spencer stands alone in St George’s Street, sole survivor in a row of blitzed buildings. Rose Lane is just visible (right).
Two men walk down Rose Lane past the ruins of the Rose Hotel. Note the barrage balloons above the cathedral.
The blitzed Royal Fountain Hotel in St. Margaret’s Street, now the site of the Marlowe Arcade.
Watling Street was hit badly in the raid of October 1942. Riding Gate bridge can be seen in the distance; the building on the right is the Dane John Tavern.
The ruins of Rose Lane after the blitz of June 1942.
The ruined garage of E.J. Philpott Ltd in Rose Lane after the raid of October 1942.
Canterbury in the 1950’s
1954 January. The Georgian tower of St. Andrew’s Church in the Parade, which was demolished in 1956. The site is nor part of Nat West Bank.
1958 December. Parked cars in St Margaret’s Street, then one-way, illustrated problems over parking in the city centre. The gap on the left, then being used as a car park, was the site on the blitzed Royal Fountain Hotel.
1951 December: The old Marlowe Theatre in St. Margaret’s Street. It was built in 1927, originally as the Central Picture Theatre, and demolished in 1982 to make way for the Marlowe Arcade.
1953: A miners’ May Day rally outside the old Marlowe Theatre in St. Margaret’s Stree. Next to it is the Fountain Tavern.
Riding Gate and St Andrews Presbyterian church (Wincheap roundabout). Looking down Watling Street past the Riding Gate Inn, which was damaged during the war and demolished in 1955 to make way for the Riding Gate roundabout.
1957 January: Looking down St. George’s Street. The corner of St. George;s Lane (where McDonald’s is now) had yet to be developed.
Canterbury in the 1960’s
1961 April; Wincheap Grove was a cul-de-sac which led from Castle Street down towards St. Mildred’s Church. It was demolished this year to make way for the ring road. This was the view up to Castle Street.
1961 May: Looking down Pin Hill towards Wincheap Green from Castle Row. All the buildings from right to centre were demolished because of the ring road.
1961 Autumn: This view of Wincheap Green looks along Pin Hill from where Wincheap roundabout is today. The Castle Hotel (left) was pulled down in 1963 and most of the buildings from left to centre were demolished to make way for the ring road within a few years. St Andrew’s Presbyterian Church was pulled down in 1973. The Man of Kent (building with white top, centre) was then at the junction of Pin Hill and Castle Row. The right hand half of the building was demolished to make way for the ring road while the left hand side became a private home. The name Man of Kent transferred to the former Station Hotel at Wincheap roundabout.
1961 Autumn: Wincheap Grove after demolition, looking away from Castle Street across open land roughly along the line of the Rheims way that was to replace it.
1963 June: Renovation continued at Ricemans after the spectacular fire of March that year, when the top floor was badly damaged.
1964 February: A plaque was unveiled at St. George’s Clocktower to commemorate the christening there of Christopher Marlowe on 26th February 1564. There was also a procession along the city wall to the newly-restored Marlowe memorial in Dane John, where wreaths were laid. Other celebrations included a concert of Elizabethan music, a banquet at the County Hotel and a service at the Cathedral.
1966 October: Looking towards St. George’s Place before the second stage of the ring road consigned most of these buildings to history. The photographer was standing near St George’s Clocktower. The tree was by the old cattle market site.
1969 December: After the war the blitzed land around the old Marlowe Theatre in St. Margaret’s Street (which included the site of the Royal Fountain Hotel and St. Mary Bredin Church) was used as an open-air car park. This view looks across the junction of Gravel Walk with Rose Lane towards St Margaret’s Church, now The Canterbury Tales. The rear of the Old Marlowe is just visible (left)- but the development of the site for the Marlowe Arcade was more than a decade away.
Canterbury in the 1970’s
1970 February: Arguably the ugliest and most criticised building in Canterbury’s history – the multi-storey car park between Gravel Walk and Watling Street, which opened a few months earlier. It was originally planned to be two floors higher. This is the view from St. George’s Lane.
The following pictures below was published in the Kentish Gazette and is issued with kind permission of Paul Crampton who provides an article each week in the Gazette.
This picture shows the Tower Meat store on the left hand side before demolition and the newly built KCC building on the corner of Beer Cart Lane.
12th November 2015
in the Kentish Gazette pictures by Paul Crampton of the old Marlowe theatre in St Margaret’s Street, viewed from Rose Lane.
This article by Paul Crampton in the Kentish Gazette shows The old St George’s Terrace in 1941 near St. George’s Gate before and after being bombed.
This article shows Homes for Gas and Tannery workers. Another picture showing Stour Street and Tower Meat Co. where Mulberry Court is today.
Another Paul Crampton article in the Kentish Gazette concerning St Mary Bredin Church
20 August 2015
Two pictures in the Kentish Gazette of Pin Hill in the 1960’s showing two sides of the road before the construction of the dual-carriageway as supplied by Paul Crampton
Pictures in the Kentish Gazette of St. George’s Street in the 1960’s by Paul Crampton
Dane John Brewery – Marlowe Avenue picture by Paul Crampton and published in the Kentish Gazette
Rose Lane changes after the Blitz of what was once a narrow Lane. pictures by Paul Crampton and published in the Kentish Gazette
Rose Lane Multi-storey Car park never reached its full height as per Paul Crampton’s article in the Kentish Gazette.
Cakebread Robey: Paul Crampton’s article in the Kentish Gazette
Norman Castle: Paul Crampton’s Article in the Kentish Gazette
Whitefriars: Paul Crampton’s Article in the Kentish Gazette
Ring Road: Paul Crampton’s article in the Kentish Gazette
Castle Street between the wars from the air, an by Paul Crampton’s article in the Kentish Gazette
Whitefriars and Gravel Walk an article by Paul Crampton in the Kentish Gazette 16/3/17
In the Canterbury Times Newspaper (2015) a couple of pictures of the Old Canterbury Market that was located along the city wall of Upper Bridge street on the other side of where the current bus station is situated (known as St George’s Terrace showing elegant 3 story homes above the market) in the 1930’s between the 2 World Wars and pictures supplied by Maidstone Museum and Kent Photo Archive. The Picture was taken from a book entitled ‘Canterbury, Mother city of the Anglo-Saxon race and written by Sebastian Evans and Frances Benner-Goldney and Published by the Canterbury Chamber of Trade in 1903. David Lewis contributed the article in the Canterbury Times, and believes that copyright has expired.
The following 2 pictures come from Ray Woods who published these in the Canterbury Times and we would like to thank him for allowing us to print them. They show the previous Gravel Walk with the old Multi-storey building on the left looking towards the Marlowe Arcade and the pedestrian bridge crossing Gravel Walk
Further photos of the old Whitefriars before the latest redevelopment where the old St Andrews United Reformed Church is on the left, the Multi-storey Car park, and on the right the bus station can be seen. In the distance the Marlowe/Whitefriars Arcade all viewed from the Riding Gate. The second photo shows the Old Multi-Storey Car Park, Old Riceman’s store (now Fenwicks). These pictures were published in the ‘Canterbury Times’ and the photos supplied with Ray Woods permission.
Further images of Canterbury from the web site link called:
Photos by Paul Crampton and from the ‘Canterbury Collection’ on the same web site above with their permission.
George Yeoman at the wheel of his car (Reg No. YR 8816) proceeding down Castle Street early in 1930’s. The van turning into Adelaide Place belonged to Court Bros. who occur;died 77 and 78 Castle Street as Builder’s Merchants. These premises were redeveloped in the late 1970’s after Cakebread Robey & Co. Ltd moved to the Wincheap Industrial Est. The shop on the extreme right on the corner of St John’s Lane (10 Castle Street) was destroyed in the last war
Dane John Brewery (Ash & Co) – Dane John Moat and the Invicta train
Queen Elizabeth Guest house and Pilcher and Chittenden Greengrocers
Poor Priests Hospital Before the river bridge
St George the Martyr
St George’s Street
St George’s Terrace
Royal Fountain Hotel
A Ostler, 35 Castle Street